Therapists Name Sarah Howard
Contact details 07872 065419
The Therapy Rooms, 176 Oldham Road, Springhead OL4 5SJ
Data controller contact details Sarah Howard as above
The purpose of processing client data
In order to provide you with the best possible therapy I will need to gather and retain potentially sensitive information about you. I will only use this information for informing our sessions and any recommendations concerning aspects of your health and wellbeing which I will suggest to you.
Lawful basis for holding and using Client information
As a member of The National Hypnotherapy Society and The National Counselling Society I abide by their Code of Practice and Ethics. The lawful basis under which I hold and use your information is Legitimate Interests, that is it is necessary for me to have this information to provide you with the best possible service.
What information I hold and what I do with it
In order to give a professional and successful service I will need to ask for and keep personal information about you. I will only use this for my own therapies, I will NOT share your information with anyone else without explaining why it is necessary and getting your explicit consent.
The information I hold is your name, address, date of birth & contact details. During our session your medical history and personal life history are discussed and I make notes which are normally bullet points.
How long I keep your information for
I will keep your information for a minimum of 7 years according to the recommendations of my insurance company as per below
The records shall be kept for at least 7 years following the last occasion on which treatment was given. In the case of treatment to minors, it is advisable that records should be kept or at least 7 years after they reach the age of majority (18).
Record Keeping - Condition 14 c, on page 35
Protecting your Personal Data
I am committed to ensuring that your personal data is secure, I keep only paper records and hold nothing about you electronically. Paper records are kept securely in a locked cabinet and only I have access to the key. At times I may have your mobile number stored on my iphone but I do not have your name saved as a contact. When you have completed your therapy sessions I will delete any text messages I have from you. I may hold your e-mail address but only when you have given your consent and I will not send any personal data via this medium. I will contact you using your preferred method in relation to appointment times and any follow up messages we have agreed to.
GDPR gives you the following rights
- The right to be informed, to know how your information will be held and used (this notice)
- The right of access, to see your therapist’s records of your personal information, so you know what is held about you and can verify it.
- The right to rectify, to tell your therapist to make changes to your personal information if it is incorrect or incomplete.
- The right to erasure (also called the right to be forgotten), for you to request your therapist to erase any information they hold about you. Although this will need to be discussed with the therapist’s insurance company.
- The right to restrict processing of personal data, the right to request limits on how your therapist uses your personal information.
- The right to data portability, under certain circumstances you can request a copy of personal information held electronically so you can reuse it in other systems
- The right to object, to be able to tell your therapist you don’t want them to use certain parts of your information, or only use it for certain purposes
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, to be able to complain to the ICO if you feel your details are not correct, if they are not being used in a way that you have been given permission for or if they are being stored when they don’t have to be
Full details of your rights can be found at https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/
Please note if you don’t agree to me keeping records of information about you, or if you don’t allow me to use the information in the way I need to for treatments, then I may not be able to treat you. I have to keep your records for a certain period as explained, which may mean that if you ask me to erase any details about you I may not be able to and have to keep them until after the required period has passed.